FAQ


 

 

What is a soy wax candle?

Soy wax is a product made from the oil of soya beans.

Why are soy wax candles better?

Being a vegetable-derived product soy wax is natural and non-toxic. Unlike paraffin wax that is petroleum based, Soy wax has a lower burning temperature which means they last longer and are less likely to trigger any allergies which may otherwise be triggered by paraffin wax. They are also biodegradable and come from a renewable natural source.

Where do our recycled glass jars come from?

Our glass candle packaging is sourced from local wineries in the Central Otago region. They are hand cut and polished before being used to create our candles.

What do I do with the leftover wax in the bottom of the jar?

Our candle jars are made from recycled wine bottles that have a dimple at the bottom of them, this indentation is called a “Punt” and helps us to gracefully pour a glass of wine. As we reuse these wine bottles make our candles the wick is set on the "punt" inside the jar so when the candle burns down it cannot burn right to the bottom which is actually a safety feature. However, we understand you may want to make the most of your candle so there are many ways to re-use the last of the wax once the wick has burnt down.

- Make a wax melt, simply place the leftover wax in a ceramic aromatherapy burner

- Make some potpourri with dried aromatic plants and wax shavings 

Why are there wet spots on my candle?

The soy wax isn’t making contact with the glass in some parts of the container and appears like a wet spot. Is this a defect? No, this is very normal. This is simply where the soy wax has adhered to the glass surface in one place and not in another. This is caused by temperature changes and is normal for this handmade and natural product.

This does not affect the quality, consistency or performance of the candle when burned properly. Soy candles are very sensitive to temperature and light changes so are aware of the location when placing or storing them.